Friday, November 22, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is HOT!

Never in a million years did I think I would get an invite to a press screening of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire!
So you can imagine the combinations of backspin-poses I performed when the email graced my inbox.

I am a self-proclaimed book-to-movie snob.
In general they tend to disappoint me... as they tend to disappoint most people who fall in love with books and their characters then Hollywood comes along and ruins everything.

I will admit, I was very worried about The Hunger Games trilogy becoming movies.
Not because I thought Hollywood would ruin them...
Because these books are VERY intense and VERY violent and, frankly, I couldn't believe these stories were intended for teen readers!
And Catching Fire was the most intense book of the series!
I lost a lot of sleep reading that book!
I wondered how Hollywood would capture the intensity (and integrity) and still keep the rating below an "R."

They did a good job with The Hunger Games.
Catching Fire is GREAT!

It seemed to move really fast to me for some reason... as in moving fast through the story.
But, I get it... it had to be "skimmed," in a sense, or it would have been a 3 hour movie.
While "skimming" it still stayed true to the book, thank goodness.
They definitely stepped up the game with everything... the writing, the costumes, the effects, and most importantly, the cast!
The cast is brilliant!
The additions of Jeffrey Wright, Amanda Plumber, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are excellent!

Now, I have to confess that the third book, Mocking Jay, was not my favorite.
In fact, it kinda bored me.
It seemed that the author, Suzanne Collins, was kinda bored too and just wanted to get it over with.
I am hoping that the final 2 movies for Mocking Jay will be like the final 2 movies of the Twilight series... better than the book.

I will say this... Catching Fire leaves you wanting more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts?