Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rockin' The Red Pump Five Years Strong

It is hard to believe that I've rocked The Red Pump for FIVE YEARS in a row!  
Okay... okay... you know I don't exactly rock red pumps... not literally...
But every March 10th, I wrap my tootsies in something crimson and dedicate my blog to The Red Pump Project.
The Red Pump Project® is a nonprofit organization that raises awareness about the impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls. Our mission is to promote HIV prevention through education, and open dialogue about the issues that surround sexual and reproductive health. We do work online and on the ground to motivate action and encourage dialogue about the effects of the disease.
I am so honored to be a part of such an amazing and empowering movement and so very proud of the women behind it.  I am blessed to call them friends.
I will never forget that day back in 2009 when I had Karen and Luvvie on my radio show to talk about The Red Pump Project for the first time.
Their passion for this cause... their passion for women was infectious.
The goal that first year was to get 100 bloggers to "Rock The Red Pump" on their blogs.
Now more than 2,000 of us are involved... on our blogs and in our cities serving as local ambassadors to continue awareness and education of this important and often overlooked issue.
I am completely in awe of how it has grown from a social media campaign to a full-blown non-profit faster than Dorothy could tripple click her rosy heels.

Of course it's not just about this one day...
The Red Pump Project works year round with nation-wide projects and events that coincide with other organizations and HIV/AIDS awareness initiatives.
I highly recommend you check them out and if you are so moved to, please get involved!

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent thing to do for an excellent cause!!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?