Friday, March 22, 2013

Ask And Ye Shall Receive... With Interest (a tale in customer service)

This is a story almost a year in the making.
A story of trust and honor... and maybe a little chivalry too.
At the heart of it, good old fashioned customer service that sometimes seems to be a lost art.

Last year, I attended High Gravity Hip Hop
As the tagline states, it's "Where Craft Beer Meets Real MCs."
If that was completely lost on you... in a nutshell, it's a beer and hip hop festival.
Dozens of indie brewers giving the crowd a taste of their wares while being entertained by the dopest of underground and unsigned hip hop artists.

Before leaving the event, I wanted to buy a tshirt... truth be told, I am in love with the logo.
They were out of the style and color I wanted.  The person manning the booth said I could "order" my shirt and they would ship it to me... and by order, he meant write my name, mailing address, and email address on this piece of paper along with $20 and I would get my shirt.

I can feel you all eyerolling me right now.
I hesitated at first because there clearly was no guarantee I'd get the shirt, but for some reason I decided to just trust.
Of course later that evening I needed that cash and was pissed that I had spent it on a phantom tshirt... but I digress.

Time passed and I didn't get the shirt... and I forgot about not getting the shirt... until...
A couple of weeks ago High Gravity Hip Hop was featured in my #CoolestThings Daily on twitter.
Lenox Mercedes, the man behind the event and the twitter account, sent a tweet to say "thanks."

Then it hit me... I never got my effin shirt!

I almost didn't say anything, considering how much time had past.
But I am a girl who values closure.
Scratch that... I NEED closure!
I saw this as an opportunity.

I was fully prepared to get a "yeah, right... where's your proof"
Instead I was met with the sincerest apologies and and offer to make it right... with interest.
That is... get the shirt I paid for AND two tickets to High Gravity Hip Hop's next event, Cinco.

As you can see... Lenox made good on the deal.

A lot of cliche conclusions came out of this...
Ask and ye shall receive
You never know until you try
Good things come to those who wait... etc... etc.

I'm tempted to add the customer is always right, but I don't think it really applies in this situation.
I'd like to think that it is more about a company/brand valuing the consumers that make it's world go round by knowing a small gesture of kindness and trust can possibly yield a high rate of return.
Monetarily?  Perhaps...
But let's never forget that good karma brings wealth too.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you got your shirt. Would love to hear more about the hip hop and beer. Is it only in ATL or are they travelling with their idea around the US.

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?