Friday, July 12, 2013

I Make Poverty Look Good

When discussing the events of our lives, a good friend will joke with me by saying "You make poverty look good."
I've often been referred to as a "baller."  O_o
I guess to the untrained eye, my writer/blogger lifestyle seems slightly lavish.
I've been working for myself for more than an decade...
I seem to always be somewhere cool, doing something amazing with awesome people...
My pictures and posts are covered with branded hashtags...
I'm "featured" on this...
I'm "speaking" on that...
To hear some of my friends describe what they think is my life makes me sound like a Kardashian!
I am here to tell you that I am at the extreme opposite of that spectrum.

I've often wondered how they can come to the conclusion that I am so well-off... especially since I display no physical evidence of the extravagance they assume exists.
Today's entry in Simple Abundance gave me an answer...
"Poverty is always experienced in the soul before it's felt in the pocket book."
I'm no stranger to financial struggle... but I never let it take up residency in my soul.
I am nowhere close to where I thought I would be in this stage of my life, yet I am still grateful for where I am, who I am, and what I have right now.
I am grateful for the opportunity to improve and evolve with each new day.

Don't get it twisted... I have my moments when there isn't a paycheck in sight,  I am stressed over bills, and frustrated when the already over-stretched budget can't accomodate extra treats or outings for my kids.
I just breathe and say... As with all horrible storms, this too shall pass.
While I wait, I make the most of what we have...
We always have an endless supply of love and laughter...
My well of faith and patience with life never runs dry...
These are things all the money in the world will never buy.
Apparently, this inner wealth has found a way to show on the outside.

Overall, my circumstances could be better... and I'm working on that... very hard...
As for now, I'm living a good life... and the good doesn't cost a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts?