Friday, September 7, 2012

From the Vault: Owning It

I had just dropped my kids off at school and on my way back home when one of my favorite songs lit up my speakers as well as a fire under my belly.  It reminded me how this song had this profound impact on me once before... so much that I wrote a post about it years ago.
(I cannot believe I can actually say "years ago" about blogging...but I digress).
So I dug it out of the vault.
It's relavent to me now as it was then... but for different reasons.
I hope that it resonates with you.

Move yourself
You always live your life
Never thinking of the future
Prove yourself
You are the move you make
Take your chances win or loser
See yourself
You are the steps you take
You and you - and that's the only way
Shake - shake yourself
You're every move you make
So the story goes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Say - you don't want to chance it
You've been hurt so before
Watch it now
The eagle in the sky
How he dancin one and only
You - lose yourself
No not for pity's sake
There's no real reason to be lonely
Be yourself
Give your free will a chance
You've got to want to succeed

~Lyrics to "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes


Why on earth this song is called "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is beyond me!  As a child of the 80s, I know and love this song and think it has one of the best guitar solos in music history...but really got me today were the lyrics!  I have had many bouts with the fear of failure... and the fear of success. When this happens, I tend to freeze and do nothing to further my cause. Hearing this song today and singing the familiar lyrics, they suddenly had new meaning for me. Move yourself...prove yourself...see yourself...shake yourself...you've got to want to succeed! And boy do I want to! Take my chances...win or lose...so the story goes!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this song!! The person that he's speaking to in the song is the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" because they are afraid to take chances in life now because they've been hurt before and they're scared to do make a move so they remain alone and unhappy...funny how seeing the lyrics written really puts them into perspective, didn't realize exactly how profound the song was though I know allthe words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly...regarding the knowing the lyrics and missing the meaning/impact for so long. Thanks for putting the title into perspective for me! Never thought of it like that! :) Learn something new every day, eh?

      Delete

Your Thoughts?