Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nothing Says "The Holidays" Like a Dysfunctional Family and a Good Ass-Kicking...

Part of transitioning to this new space, I cleaned out my old one. In that process there are a few posts that I've decided to hang on to and maybe every once in a while, I'll throw them out there and we can reminisce together. Since it's the holiday season, I thought this one from "the vault" would help you get into the holiday spirit ChatterBox style...enjoy!


The ChatterBox's Classic Christmas Flicks
(originally posted 12/24/2009)

Image credit: undoneclothing on Flickr
In case you haven't figured out already, I am SO not a traditionalist. When it comes to holidays and festive occasions, I do nothing by the book and I'm pretty sure Emily Post and Martha Stewart hate me. Christmas is definitely one of the holidays where I do not follow the rules. I don't put up the decorations the day after Thanksgiving. You're lucky if they get up by Christmas Eve! (Okay, well I'm not that bad...I usually have something hanging or lit up by the 20th.) Christmas cards? Ha! There was a reason e-mail was invented! I just purchased wrapping paper yesterday, people...along with the gifts they will be wrapping. You get the point, right? Okay, you can stop shaking your head at me now.

Well, the one thing I do like to do that is kind of traditional-ish is watching Christmas shows and movies. Truth be told, I am a little miffed if Christmas comes and goes without me catching The Grinch (go figure, right?). I also like the classic "Rudolf" shows. But I'm a movie-gal and there are a few holiday films that just put me in the spirit. Now, I must warn you...you do know who you are dealing with here, right? So you already know there will be no Miracle on 34th Street or It's a Wonderful Life on this list. This is holiday movie ChatterBox style! Here are my classic pics that take you from Thanksgiving to New Years Eve...

Home for the Holidays (Thanksgiving): Don't you just love family dysfunction with your turkey and stuffing? You know you've got some folks in your family just like the ones in this film.  A funny, tear-jerker that I watch every time it comes on.  Plus I love Robert Downey Jr. and will watch anything he's in... just sayin'.

Bad Santa:  So not a Christmas movie for kids!  But definitely a gut-buster for adults!  Note to the sensitive person:  You cannot be sensitive and watch this film.  If foul language and lewd behavior get your panties in a bunch, it's in your best interest to skip it!  Just sayin'.

Die Hard:  Um, yeah, it was Christmas when Hans Gruber and his little terrorist elves took over Nakatomi Plaza!  It's all coming back to you now, right?

Lethal Weapon:  When Riggs met Murtaugh for the first time (and began what was (in my opinion) the best on-screen duo in the history of the "buddy movie") it was "the most wonderful time of the year!"

The Long Kiss Goodnight:  Hands down the best ass-kicking chick Christmas flick ever!  Samuel L. Jackson continues to display why he's the king of the best one-liners.

Mixed Nuts:  A hilarious ensemble cast with Steve Martin at the helm.  Lots of hidden Christmas references that you'll miss if you're not paying attention... like the landlord's name is Mr. Tenenbaum (that was a freebie for you)

The Family Stone:  A lesson to be learned from this one...never let your family meet your significant other for the first time at Christmas!  I mean, duh! Everybody knows that!  Again, another hilarious tear-jerker.


Strange Days (New Years Eve):  An intriguing murder mystery that came out around 96 or 97 that predicted what would be going on in LA on New Years Eve 1999.  The soundtrack kicks ass and so does Angela Basset!  

Well, there ya have it!  Not your mama's holiday movie list, eh?  But you've gotta admit, I probably now have you thinking about the ones I may have missed that would fit right in!  Go on, share your favorites!!  I'd love to see if anyone out there shares my flair for the non-traditional traditions.

Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

  1. How you gonna Miss "A Christmas Story"

    "I CAN'T PUT MY ARMS DOWN!!!"

    ha-larious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choices are um... interesting. I wonder what Freud would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your choices are... interesting. I wonder what Freud would say?

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?