Thursday, January 12, 2012

#WriteSpace: Why I Love Rev Coffee


my REV reflections via instagram

It could just be today… the day I decided to come here to work…who knows the reason for the calm quiet of Rev Coffee Espresso Bar.  Truly one of the best kept secrets of Smyrna.  We keep it to ourselves so that nobody will infiltrate our little bohemian anti-starbucks sanctuary.  (well of course, until now that I've outed us…oh well).  

I admit, sadly, that I don't frequent this place nearly as often as I should.  Seriously, this should be my permanent office every day.  The times that I have hung out here, Rev seems to be a mecca for writers, readers, and students of all ages.  It is a hub for the November NaNo-ers in our area every year.  

Another confession, when Rev first got here, I didn't think it would last.  Along with the fact that (in my opinion) the location just effin' blows (the position on the street, not location in the city) and the parking is equally annoying, I thought the saturation of Starbucks Snobs (and yes, I am one of them…admittance is the first step) would leave it lonely and abandoned.  Alas, the citizens of our fair hamlet have rallied around this establishment and created a culture of Rev loyalists.  

What's Rev got that the chains' don't?  While I know I will never completely abandon my beloved Starbucks, Rev has unique qualities that make it an ideal "Write Space:"

#1 - Coffee:  Well, duh, it's a coffee shop, right? They've got all the "usual suspects" but they've got some really great roasts that you just don't get everywhere else.  They also sell cold Coca-Colas in the glass bottles which is a whole other separate addiction of mine.

#2 - Space:  Plenty of table seating for two on up to eight…without pushing tables together…as well as a couple of large groupings of lounge seating.  Very rarely are you fighting or waiting for a chair to free up and you are not literally rubbing elbows with your neighbor when you do.  Plenty of room between the ordering/pick up/retail area and main seating. My personal favorite perk...an abundance of outlets and extension cords. 

#3 - Quiet:  Like I said, could just be the days I have chosen to come here but aside from the hum of the coffee grinder and the soothing background music, this place is very very quiet…no doubt do to the fact that those who frequent it have their head deep in a book or laptop.  Most of the conversations take place when someone is ordering.  Even those who seemed to have arrived with a companion appear to use telekinetic methods of communication.  People come to Rev for peace and/or to get shit done!

#4 - Food:  Real food.  You can get a real meal here and not just a muffin (albeit a pretty damn good muffin).  I recommend the Cuban panini…it's delightful :)

#5 - Community:  Rev gives as good as it gets.  It supports the city that keeps it's doors open. Local artists have their work on display and are able to have concerts and signings here.  Organizations have meetings here.  I actually used to host a writer's group here once upon a time.  Hmmmm...I should revisit that idea.  

If you ever venture out to the booming metropolis of Smyrna, GA, stop by Rev and tell them I told you to.  I get nothing from that other than being further along in my quest to achieve Norm-like status in all of my #WriteSpaces

2 comments:

  1. Woooo! I LOVE Rev. You're SO right. It's the best kept secret in Smyrna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard you mention this place so many times and have read great reviews on Yelp. Christie I will make it a point to go!

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?